Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS)

The Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) has a history dating back to 1724 when it was founded in Petersburg by Peter the Great. It has since been moved to Moscow.

Over the centuries the name has changed several times, but the dedication of the RAS to science, which was introduced by Peter the Great, has not waned. Under the umbrellas of the RAS is the Russian Biofuels Association (RBA), which promotes renewable fuels in Russia and neighboring countries through collaborations between national governments.

There is also a great deal of cooperation between Russia and the EU surrounding the field of bioenergetics. This only makes sense given that Russia is the major supplier of oil to most of Europe and has a vested interest in maintaining the relationship moving forward.

Part of the Russian interest in biofuels is drive by the fact that the country has vast tracts of arable land (upwards of 20 million hectares by some estimates) that were abandoned when the Soviet Union era ended. This land represents an untapped resource for cultivating biofuel feedstock. Estimates from the RBA suggest the following quantities of arable land.

Country

Land Area in square kilometers

Russia

1,200,000

Ukraine

300,000

Kazakhstan

210,000

The RAS has also shown that agriculture in Russia produces roughly 773 million megatons of organic waste each year, waste that can be split to make high quality fertilizer and nearly 66 billion cubic meters of biogas. That amount of biogas can, in turn, be used to produce 33 billion liters of diesel fuel and 110 billion kVT/hour of electricity.